David Bowie Rolling Stone


David Bowie Rolling Stone

Hi there! Today I will be analysing a David Bowie magazine which was produced in 1972! This magazine immediately made me interested as it is an example of a music magazine in a different era then magazines I have discussed previously. Rolling stones have used a colour scheme containing four main colours - green, gold, white and black. From my research I have notice that rolling stones haven't stuck to a colour scheme through out any of there magazines they have produced from years ago (like this 1972 magazine) from more modern magazines. The use of gold in a colour scheme is very interesting as it shows the importance of Bowie himself, Rolling stone has clearly used gold to signify his relevance and success in the music industry. This is obviously why gold is the main colour used in the front colour of this magazine as it is not only attractive to the audience but it portrays Bowie in a very successful light.
Although the idea of changing the theme and style of the font cover of the magazine is intriguing, I would like to keep the front cover of my magazine predominantly the same. I wish to do this to fit the sophisticated theme of being acoustic rather than fitting the washed out retro theme. In addition to this, I will not wash out the model I have chosen to use like rolling stones has done with bowie as they have fit the main golden colour with his skin tone and the colour of his hair. I will not edit my model in that way and will keep him/her looking how I wish.
The props used in this picture include a cigarette and sunglasses. For health and safety I will not be using any form of cigarette in my magazine, the use of the sunglasses and cigarette make Bowie come across as mysterious and bold which suits his character. Bowie is displayed in a very cool position which gives the audience a vibe of what his music consists of. The shot used is very retro and fits to the constituency's needs. The use of a leather jacket is also very interesting as it shows he is in style and fashion, which attracts audience intentions as well.
I will use this technique in my magazine and use props to fit the character. For example, I will use a acoustic guitar to show the type of music included in the magazine and I will use dress code to show the theme of the music. This includes using light clothing like light blue jeans and a white top. I will also use the acoustic constituency's fashion preferences that i have found out in my research in the rest of my magazine. I will show more of my model in the front cover of my magazine rather than a medium close up that has been used on this retro front cover.The font used on this front cover is also rather eye-catching to the constituency. The actual name of the magazine is different in colour and font compared to the white font down the left hand side of the magazine front cover. This is interesting as the makers of this magazine clearly want the focus to be on themselves more then anything as the colour green contrast with the gold/orange background. The font used is very fitting as it is very '70's' and can be seen as retro which fits the style of its time and Bowie himself. The rest of the magazine uses a white font in a serif like font. Although the words 'David Bowie' and ' The Mob' are in a larger size, the rest of the font seems rather dull and tough to read.
In my magazine i will use the technique of having my magazine name stand out a lot however i will aslo focus alot on my model more than this magazine has done. I will use the colour of fonts that stand out a lot more and shows up more depending of the background colour and fit the generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band Name Ideas